Monday, November 2, 2009

Communication Tools Workout

My group members were Kaitlyn, Kristan, and of course myself, Aaron. We communicated using the forums on Oncourse, which worked out pretty well for us. We used this a fair amount, perhaps posting every couple minutes or so. The project went well. We were able to communicate the ideas we wanted to, so technology did not provide a barrier after some initial (and easily overcome) confusion on who was going to perform what task. I personally thought it went well. We were able to work well together and did not disagree. This was my first time doing a project like this where we couldn't communicate without talking. I liked that the project we were doing was fairly straightforward and simple; a complex task would have been very difficult to coordinate between three people without talking. There wasn't really anything I disliked about the experience, and can't think of anything I would have done differently. One advantage of doing a project like this in a middle school math class is that it would allow the students to collaborate with people on a project at home without them having to go to the houses of other members (since they can't drive). It would also allow them to collaborate with students from a different class. The downside is that younger students may not be able to express their ideas as well in written form, and mass confusion could result very quickly, in addition to the danger of messages getting very off topic. I'm not sure I would assign a project like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment