Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Classroom Communication

Since I will be a secondary math teacher I will not have a lot of regular contact with parents, other teachers, and students outside of the single class period I have with them per day. I am responsible for making sure the students know what they need to do and are doing what they need to in order to pass the class and that parents can be made aware of their child's standing in the class if they so desire. My professional peers and administrators may want to know how I run my class and what we are doing at a given point in time.

Thus, my plan is to have a course website and send out a weekly or bi-weekly email to parents. This email will contain a (tentative) schedule of the upcoming classes and other pertinent information such as resources on how to get math help if a student is having trouble in the class. The website will also have a class schedule and resource list, but will also contain a section listing the class assignments, a grade sheet, and perhaps video file of a sample lecture. I could also add sections such as a "sudoku puzzle of the week", "fun math problems" or other activities not completely related to class but would still involving learning and math.

In keeping with my professional appearance the website will be well-written, containing correct grammar and maintaining an image in the viewer's mind that I am a professional who knows what he is doing. Obviously all material on the site will be school-appropriate. I hope I can put this plan into action in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment